All new Lassen Community College students should participate in the Assessment Placement Test. Placement testing measures students’ abilities in the areas of reading, writing and math and provides useful information for course placement. Counselors use a variety of information in helping students, including assessment test from other colleges, transcripts of academic course work, career goals, and the Lassen Community College Assessment Placement Test. Assessment Placement Test results are valid for 2 years.
Students who wish to test must make an appointment. Examinees must come to their Testing appointment prepared to show photo identification and their Lassen Community College student ID number.
Students who must participate in the assessment process are:
- Students taking English, Mathematics or Reading Classes
- Students seeking a degree
- Students who wish to demonstrate a prerequisite
- Special student populations: A) Students who participate in intercollegiate activities on behalf of the school including the Associated Student Body, athletics, judging, rodeo; B) International students; C) Students receiving financial aid; D) Veterans receiving veteran’s benefits
- Special Admit students (students who are under the age of 18 without a high school diploma) should contact the Lassen Community College Counseling Office at (530) 251-8842 for specific instructions
Students may be exempted from some, or all, portions of placement testing if they meet the following criteria:
- They provide documentation of having received English credit through completion of an Advance Placement Test (score of 3 or higher)
- They provide documentation of having received Mathematics credit through completion of an Advance Placement Test (score of 3 or higher)
- They provide documentation of having received a grade of “C” or better in a college prerequisite English course
- They provide documentation of having received a grade of “C” or better in a college prerequisite Mathematics course
- They are taking course(s) which do not have a prerequisite
- They have completed a California Community College Chancellor’s Office approved placement test within the last two years (documentation with course level interpretation required)