1098-T Frequently Asked Questions
What is Form 1098-T (Tuition Payments Statement)?
Eligible educational institutions are required by the federal government to provide Form 1098-T to students for whom payments for qualified billed tuition and fees were received in calendar year 2015.
How do I access my 1098-T form?
- Login to mylassen.lassencollege.edu
- Go to WebAdvisor webpart
- Click on WebAdvisor for Students
- Select Financial Information
- Select 1098 Electronic Consent
- Consent to view 1098-T forms electronically
- Select View My 1098-T form
- Choose the 2015 year
What are the boxes on the form?
- Box 1 - Not applicable.
- Box 2 - Shows the total amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses during calendar year 2015. If the student received any reductions in charges such as Board of Governors Grant (BOG fee waiver) or sponsorships, then the amount of the waiver would reduce the amount Box 2.
- Box 3 - Lassen Community College did NOT change its reporting method from last year.
- Box 4 - Shows any adjustment made for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year Form 1098-T.
- Box 5 - Shows the total of all Financial Aid. Loans are not included.
- Box 6 - Shows adjustments to Financial Aid for a prior year.
- Box 7 - Shows whether the amount in Box 2 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January-March 2016.
- Box 8 - Shows whether you are considered to be carrying at least one-half the normal full-time workload for your course of study. If you are at least a half-time student for at least one academic period that begins during the year, you meet one of the requirements for the Hope credit.
- Box 9 - Not applicable.
- Box 10 - Not applicable.
What if I think the information on the 1098-T is incorrect?
If you believe the information provided is incorrect, please contact Student Accounts at (530)257-6181 x8708
I did not receive a 1098-T form, why?
There are several possibilities:
- You do not have a Social Security Number on file with Lassen Community College.
- The IRS does not require us to provide you one if your scholarship and / or financial aid (including formal billing arrangements with employers or governmental agencies) exceed or is equal to the billed amount.
- You attended Lassen Community College in Spring 2015 but you had enrolled and been billed in calendar year 2014.
- We do not have a valid United States mailing address on file for you.
- You are classified as a non-resident alien.
- Your billed amounts consisted of only non-credit courses.
What if my 1098-T form has no dollar amounts on it?
If you enrolled in classes and then dropped those classes in 2015 you may receive a 1098-T Form that shows no activity. Additionally, 2015 students that enrolled in their classes in 2014 may receive a 1098-T form with no financial activity. The financial activity is reflected on the 2014 1098-T form in the year you were billed for the classes.
What if I have further questions?
LCC has provided the forms in compliance with the IRS guidelines. However, we cannot offer any tax advice on this issue. Please contact the IRS or your tax consultant for further information.
- IRS Publication 970 – (Tax Benefits for Education (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf)). This document does not appear to have been updated since 2014.
- IRS Form 8863 – (Education Credits (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8863.pdf)) (IRS Form 8863 Instructions (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8863.pdf))